Brantes Castle was built in 1700 by the del Bianco's, a Florentine family, whose ancestors had settled in the papal city of Avignon, in 1600. It was enlargened in 1815 by General de Cessac, Minister of Napoleon I, whose wife was a descendant of the del Bianco's. It has been restaured since 1960 by the present owners, descendants themselves of the del Bianco's.
The park with its unique everlasting boxtrees dates back to 1815. The actual garden, although influenced by Florence, was created in 1960 by Danish landscape architect Mogens Tvede Three basins, bearing the Sorgue waters, brighten up the walled garden and its various colors: green for the cypresses and box trees, white for the iceberg roses and altheas, blue for the agapanthas and plumbagos, pink for its peonies, raphiolepsis and rose garden. Centenary lagerstroemias and the largest magnolia grandiflora in Europe (5,50 m circumference) are remarquable witnesses of its past.
Created in: 1960
Surface : garden : 1 ha; Park : 3 ha
City : Sorgues (84700)
County : Vaucluse (84)
Address : 157, chemin de Brantes
Every day from April 1 to June 30, by appointment only, guided visits (groups of 10 people, minimum) at +33 662089822 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Guided visits with previous booking , Duration of a guided visit : 1h15, Minimal number of persons for a guided visit : 10 .
Access adapted for disabled persons.
Brochure of the garden in French and English.
Photos Michel Vialle, all copyrights reserved.
8 €/person. 3 € from 12 to 18 years old. Free until 12 years old.
Shop, Public lavatory, Drinking water fountain, Marriage photos, Shooting of films, Carpark arranged.
• The following forms are available from any group of at least 10 people:
Tour + aperitif, visit + Provencal Buffet, tour + aperitif-concert. Contact us for rates and reservations.
• School visits with educational workshops.
• garden rental for wedding photos, christening.
• Location of the Garden and Castle for Filming and commercial view.
Motorway A 7,exit Avignon-North-Sorgues, Sorgues direction, at the entry of the city to take "chemin de Brantes".
Map Michelin n° 81.
GPS (Lat x Long) : 44.000629000, 4.877071000